Friday, November 29, 2013

GOOD BYE FAIRFAX; HELLO ALEXANDRIA


Goodbye Oakton, Hello Mount Vernon Stake!
So my new ward is Potomac Mid-Singles Ward, where I get to serve the 31 to 45 year old singles. WOO! They are GREAT! Very professional, outgoing, and a pretty strong desire to share the gospel. Most (even the women) have served missions, so that's helpful! Sunday was great - the talks were all about missionary work! Very fitting. I hope that we can show these members that they can trust us with their friends and that they will be more inclined to invite their friends to the many activities that the ward holds!
My new companion is Sister Julie Anderson from Olympia, Washington. She is VERY outgoing and enthusiastic - it's like she's been here longer than 6 weeks! But... that's how new she really is! So I am finishing up her training. Shouldn't be hard - she's an AWESOME missionary! And loves to talk just as much (if not more) than I do :) I didn't get a picture with her yet (lame, I know), but I promise I will have one by next week! To prepare you, she is a 6 foot, red-head. Gotta love it!
I'm going to keep this e-mail short this week. But I will share with you one scripture that I just love. I pray that I haven't shared this with you before: Alma 7:11-13.

11
And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions and btemptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. 12 And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities.
13 Now the Spirit aknoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the bflesh that he might ctake upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

This is a very well-known and well-used scripture in the Church. But one thing that a member told me in Great Falls was that there is a specific order to this scripture! Notice that Alma states that Christ suffered first for our pains, afflictions, and temptations, THEN for us to overcome physical death, and THEN for our sins. So often we think the Atonement is JUST for repenting of our sins and asking for forgiveness. This is true, but it's SO MUCH MORE. It's the center of everything we want to do and be in this life! If you desire to be a better person, which I hope we all do, then we NEED the Atonement. Ask Heavenly Father how you can use the Atonement more so in your life and I KNOW that He will answer you by the power of the Holy Ghost. I say that because it's happened to me!
I love you all and thank you so much for your righteousness and charity towards all of God's children. You're an inspiration to me and help me to focus on improving DAY BY DAY!
LOVES,
Sister Hansen
1) Me on a piano in Merrifield Shopping Center :)

No comments:

Post a Comment