Friday, October 18, 2013

PRAY VOCALLY



HELLO ALL!
 
This week went by SO fast. Can you believe transfers are in a week and a half? So insane. Sister Mitchell and I have NO idea about what is going to happen. She wants to train again (not because she doesn't like me [maybe], she just loves being a trainer) and I... don't know what I want! Haha but what I FEEL like is going to happen is that I will be staying in this area at least another transfer. A missionary pointed out to me that there are "mover" missionaries, that get transferred every few transfers, and then there's "stayers" - like me. Great Falls for 6 months, Oakton for... who knows! I do love the ward and have a strong desire to increase their own efforts in missionary work. We'll see what happens!
 
So a woman I have yet to tell you about is Elena Novikova. We met Elena outside as she was doing some lawn renovation in her front yard. She is originally from Moscow, Russia and has been in the states for over 10 years. She has had a VERY VERY sad and hard life. And because she's quite the talker, Sister Mitchell and I have tried to listen and be supportive to her. But after visiting her about the fourth time, we FINALLY had a lesson with her! By the end, she wanted to read the Book of Mormon, and she offered the closing prayer! We were so elated.
 
...But then, we went back to see how she was doing and it was not good. She had been crying, saying that she recently had talked with her relatives in Russia who want to practically disown her because of decisions she's made. She even told us that she tried to open the Book of Mormon but the Holy Spirit told her not to (doubtful)... that it's not HER book. SO DEPRESSING. She feels a sense of loyalty to her family and the Russian Orthodox church. After all this, we said a prayer with her and then she dismissed us. We still keep in touch with her and pray for her daily. It's hard to see someone who could use the gospel SO MUCH and then to deny it. Please pray for Elena, that her heart will be softened!
 
A miracle we had this week was when we were in an Elena's neighborhood actually, and we saw someone parking a U-Haul outside her house. We were so confused! We waited for the person to come out and then went up and talked to him. Turns out, his name is Amit (ah-meet), and he lived around the corner but needed a place to park his U-Haul for the night. He is originally from Nepal and his wife just moved to the US one week ago! As we taught him a little about the Restoration, he says "You need to help my wife learn English!". We told him we'd love to! He then said "How about right now?" So he takes us to the apartment where they're living, which is with his wife's sister and roommate (and their children). We spend the rest of the night teaching about the nature of God, the Spirit, and prayer! Renu, Amit's wife, was so great. She enjoyed the lesson and took hold of the chance to practice her English. So much so that she offered a prayer in English at the end! It was simple and beautiful.
I hope you all took my challenge to pray vocally. It really is life-changing, and I notice it's power now more than ever with my investigators. But what's so important to go along with that prayer is the SPIRIT. We were asked to memorize more scriptures on our missions, so the one I chose this week is D&C 8:2-3:
2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.
How AMAZING is it to know that the Spirit we feel when we pray and when we receive revelation is the SAME spirit that Moses had when he performed this almighty miracle?! I love how God works. He's no respecter of persons. There aren't multiple kinds of Spirit, testifying of Him - JUST ONE. And we have it, or at least can feel it! Seek it throughout your day. It is there, I promise.
 
I love you all! Thanks for YOUR prayers on my behalf. They bring the Spirit into my life, even more so! Have a wonderful week :)
 
Loves,
Sister Hansen

PICTURES:
1) My new LONG nails! I'm a happy girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment