Monday, August 12, 2013

40 DAY FAST??

Hello All!
 
This week was pretty incredible. We got to teach many lessons and though these are people we may/may not see again, it was such GREAT experience. Still being a trainer, I get worried that my little Sister Udall isn't getting enough teaching opportunities. So this week helped us!!!
One of the lessons was with Bethany Cuttahee and her daughter, Jessica. It was referral from a member family (their neighbor) who are about to move to Austria this week! We stopped by the house, and Bethany let us RIGHT in! They are a very STRONG Catholic family, meaning they have great morals and values that they like to live by. You can tell that Bethany respected the Rhees (the member family) a lot, and her daughters will miss their kids. Well, we ended up giving her a pamphlet and asked her to read. She said she would! We will check back on her this week. In the MEANTIME, a NEW member family has moved into the Rhee's old house. This is the Sutton family, and they are HILARIOUS. Four out of the six people in that house bore their testimonies on Sunday and had the congregation roaring. But it was appropriate laughter, don't worry :) But BOTH the mother and father are converts to the church AND served missions! They also have a son who just left to serve in Jacksonville, FL Spanish speaking. Anyways, this family has ALREADY met the Cuttahees and plan to be those inviting and helpful members to pick up where the Rhees left off. How cool is that?!
So this week, we were given a challenge by our mission president to rid of those things that keep us from focusing on the work. He calls it the "40 Day Fast". We started with a fast yesterday to find out what things we needed to correct. Then for forty days, we will do ALL we can to keep ourselves from succumbing to these distractions! It's amazing to think of how often missionaries will be thinking of other things (not necessarily bad/inappropriate things), but then waste that time by not thinking of the work or the people their teaching! I've come to realize that as I hone my thoughts in on my missionary efforts, the Spirit is MUCH more inclined to show me EXACTLY where to go, what to do, and what to say!
Here are the things I am ridding of for the REST of my mission (not just forty days):
1) Soda
I sometimes will get a drink whenever we get gas, and I actually think about soda pretty often. So embarrassing. SO I will only drink it IF we go out to meals. And that's it!
2) Dance
I think about dance A LOT. Especially if a beautiful song comes on, with lots of piano and instrumental. I start thinking of a dance to it. Hahaha and I'm not even a good choreographer! So I'm quitting that and will think about the beautiful, spiritual song lyrics instead.
3) Musicals
Gosh, I love musicals. And I love to sing them. But no more! I will be singing hymns from now on... wish me luck!
4) NAIL BITING
GUYS!!!! I'm going to STOP biting my nails! I'm already two days in, and it's hard. But for some reason, I feel more strength this time around. I am forever DONE with biting my nails!
So that is my list. Please pray for me on these things, for they will NOT be easy. I desire to do the Lord's work and put my WHOLE heart, might, MIND, and strength into it. And you want to know what our celebration/reward is on the 40th day?
OUR ENTIRE MISSION IS GOING TO A WASHINGTON NATIONALS GAME ON SEPT. 13th!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited, I can't think straight. My mission president knows me so well :)
Thank you for all your love and support! My companion showed me a scripture that hit me real good this week about how we overcome burdens through Christ. Mosiah 24:14-15...
14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
So even though our burdens may still be there, we don't have to FEEL them in our lives! How amazing is that? We know we need them to learn and grow, but the effect of their presence can be lifted through Christ's Atonement. I know that to be true.
I love you all!
 
Loves,
Sister Hansen
PICTURE:
1) Hermana Bethany Hartt! She left for the Mexico City MTC on Tuesday and will eventually be in the California San Fernando mission. She's going to be AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment