Sunday, June 30, 2013

TIME'S A FLYIN'

Hello All,
 
The weeks are just FLYIN'. Seriously! Sister Udall says they're going fast for her, and she's only been out a few weeks. I remember being in her shoes not too long ago! A few weeks definitely felt like a few months to me back then. But now... I can't even handle how quickly things move!
We got another new investigator - WEE! His name is David, and he is from Burma. He is probably in his 70's and talks A LOT. So we tracted into him on Sister Udall's FIRST DAY in the mission field, and he gave us his number to set up an appointment. Promising! So we did and we saw him just last Tuesday. His wife even made noodles for us! YUM. David started out Baptist then converted to Catholicism. But he is VERY impressed with those of the Mormon faith and wants to know what they have that he doesn't have. Turns out, he even knows Brother Cannon from our ward (yes, the one related to George Q.)! He had MANY questions about the validity of Joseph Smith and why we don't "worship" Mary but OVERALL... he wants to know that this is true. He has a desire to seek out that truth and feel it in his heart. So we'll work with that! We called him the next day and he had already read the pamphlet and started reading the Book of Mormon! Ummm... can you say "prepared soul"? So blessed to have found this wonderful man! We will be having our next lesson tomorrow :) Keep him in your prayers!
We also had exchanges this week, where I was paired up with Sister Goates for a day (see picture)! She is a "Sister Trainer Leader", where she helps train all the newer Sisters. She is AWESOME! Turns out, she's the youngest of 13 children (yes, all from the same mother) and is from Kammis, Utah. She is also a DANCER. Fun!!! Sister Goates taught me a lot - including how to be more bold and how to rely on the Spirit more. She had a lot of nice things to say to me at the end of our exchange, so that warmed my heart! As a missionary, you sometimes get down on yourself like you're not adequate enough or you don't know enough (SATAN), but for her (who has been out over a year) to tell me that I'm a powerful missionary - it meant a lot!
As for Glenn, we didn't see him this week, but we DID finally get to sit down with his wife, Jessica. We asked her how she thought the lessons were going and she told us that she honestly didn't see him becoming a member of the church for at least a year. She said that her Dad, who is a convert, joined the church in a "hurried" manner and wasn't able to fully grasp the processes of the meetings and callings, etc. She doesn't want that to happen to Glenn. So we told her that we are on board with that plan! It's better to not baptize someone at all than to baptize them when they aren't ready. I know that to be true. But she agreed to read with him from the Book of Mormon for just 3 minutes a day! She actually looked quite excited about it! So I'm looking forward to seeing how they BOTH progress in the near future!
I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to be out here in Virginia on a mission for the Lord! I know that it is where I am supposed to be. I always sound so selfish in my e-mails by talking about what I AM learning from this experience, but I can't help it! The Lord knew I needed some stretching and learning, and I doubt don't one minute that He sent me out here to get some of that. Haha but I have come to understand MOST of all that EVERY effort in this work is appreciated by God. This scripture says it all: John 4:35-38
35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
So maybe you won't be a "reaper" in this life? Fine! Be the best "sower" you can be then! That's how I see it! And that's clearly how our Heavenly Father sees it! Let us reapers and sowers REJOICE TOGETHER in this work. Know that every conversation you have, every invitation you extend, every gift you give - it all means something in the end.
I LOVE YOU ALL - thank you so much for everything!
Loves,
Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment